Electrical Plugs Socket Supply: 5 common Causes of Electrical Fires

Electrical Plugs Socket Supply: 5 common Causes of Electrical Fires

The Electrical Era

The Twentieth Century brought more that the change from steam to electrical power. With the fast  development of technology and science, electrical product can be found everywhere in our life.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, in 2015, electrical fires accounted for 6.3 percent, nearly 24,000 fires.

The months with the most electrical fires are December and January due to increased use of heating appliances and lights. Most electrical fires start in the bedroom, but the highest number of fatalities occur with fires located in the living room, family room and den.

Some electrical fires happen because of problems in house wiring or appliance failure. but many occur due to mistakes that homeowners make like overloading electrical outlets or extension cords.

Electrical Plugs Socket Supply: 5 common Causes of Electrical FiresElectrical Plugs Socket Supply: 5 common Causes of Electrical Fires

 

5 common Causes of Electrical Fires

When working with members of your community on fire and life safety, it is important to teach the common causes of electrical fires. Now, let us discuss the 5 common Causes of Electrical Fires.

1. Faulty outlets, appliances

Faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances would cause most electrical fires. And faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches also the causes of . Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.

Running cords under rugs is another cause of electrical fires. Removing the grounding plug from a cord so it can be used in a two-prong electrical outlet can also cause a fire. The reason appliances have the extra prong is so they can be only used in outlets that can handle the extra amount of electricity that these appliances draw.

2. Light fixtures

Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount.

Another cause of fire is placing materials like cloth or paper over a lampshade. The material heats up and ignites, causing a fire. Faulty lamps and light fixtures also frequently result in fires.

3. Extension cords

Misuse of extension cords is another electrical fire cause. Appliances should be plugged directly into outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for any length of time. Only use extension cords as a temporary measure. If you do not have the appropriate type of outlets for your appliances, hire an electrician to install new ones.

4. Space heaters

Because these types of heaters are portable, many times people put them too close to combustible surfaces,  such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs. Coil space heaters are especially dangerous in this regard because the coils become so hot they will almost instantaneously ignite any nearby flammable surface.

If you do use space heaters, use the radiator-type that diffuse heat over the entire surface of the appliance. These are less likely to ignite flammable items, but should still be kept away from them.

5. Wiring

Outdated wiring often causes electrical fires. If a home is over 20 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home, such as computers, wide-screen televisions, video and gaming players, microwaves and air conditioners.

发表评论

电子邮件地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注